Entrada destacada

CLIL for Subjects Primary 17-18

Our course for bilingual teachers CLIL for Subjects is about to finish.  We have shared two face to face sessions on 30th January and 28...

miércoles, 23 de mayo de 2018

Sonsoles del Peso


Your task: Plan a cross-curricular mini-project. Your mini-project should incorporate some of the techniques you have seen on the course so far. Complete the table below.

Topic and project title
 Living with plants.
Your subject area: How will the project fit with your subject?
Natural Science
This project is part of the contents of the subject; it is going to take place during a week to start the unit.
Who are you doing the project with?
I am going to do this on my own because I work in a C.R.A. I teach both Art and Natural to this group. However, I talk with the teacher who teaches English and she also tries to collaborate in some extend.
Learning objectives
Learn the main parts of a plant and their functions.
 Know the difference between living and non-living things. 
 Identify the different parts of the plants that we eat. 
 Realise the importance of taking care of plants. 
Observe the plant circle live.
Apply the knowledge learnt. 

Anticipated problems (and solutions)
Problems with vocabulary, give a list in advance with the most difficult words.




Teach your mini-project. Reflect on how it went. Be prepared to give feedback.


Group and date taught

6 pupils, 4 sessions from 19th to 23rd February.
What did you do?



(scan and attach a copy of the material you used, or paste any links below)
At the beginning of all the sessions I gave them a clear lesson frames to help them to understand. Not only I did that, but also I did frequent comprehension checks along the sessions.
A way of extra material for pupils who finished really quickly I had prepared some word search, that you can make for any topic in the next web https://www.educima.com/wordsearch/spa/ 
1º session.
To start the unit I asked pupils to bring some seeds to plant in a small pot I brought soil, so every child planted their bean seed and we watered them. Then I asked them the next question: “How long do you think is going to take the seed to grow?” They wrote their different answers. We were talking about the vocabulary of the project: to grow, soil, pot, stem, seed, blossom, buds, cucumber, asparagus, peas, cabbage, lettuce... I mimicked and show pictures of them.
2º session
We watched twice a video which explain the cycle of a plant. https://youtu.be/8VfWVbrZTw0
We did the apple cycle live that you can find in the next link. http://www.kizclub.com/food.htm
 They had to colour and paste the cycle inside the apple while I was explaining this process.
3º session
Firstly, we were talking about how important the plants are for us. We use them to make furniture, perfumes, medicines, clothes and so on. I asked them: “What if all the plants disappear? At first they did not see the problem but I tried they related with the previous unit (herbivore animals). As animals we also eat different parts of plants so we did an activity relate to this, we classify fruit and vegetables into the part of plant. You can find the template in the nest link http://www.kizclub.com/Topics/food/plant-parts.pdf
4ºsession
We started the unit with a short running dictation in pairs, at the end they had to guess with picture it was 1 or 2, the dictation was: “it has got a lot of leaves. But it has not got any flower.”
Finally, we did a flat plant in a white card with different coloured papers. You can see the end result below.
I wanted to learn and sing the next song https://youtu.be/N-l-gsWOKzk  but the class was over so I needed an extra session to carry out this activity.

What went well

I think the activity they liked the most was planted a seed, we are still waiting for the plant to grow.
Reflection for future practice
What needed improvement/changes and why

The sessions at this school are only 50’ long so I needed an extra session in order to complete the project I will take this account for next projects. Sometimes at the end of the sessions I was in a hurry.

What would you change considering level,  age or other factors
They found difficult to classify the part plants we eat. So maybe they needed an extra activity related to it.





No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario